The main aims of this degree are to provide you with a high level of technical ability and knowledge specific to finance and accounting, and to equip you with a range of skills necessary to succeed in today's business environment.
Core to this degree is the development of your understanding of the technical language and practices of accounting and finance. Additionally, other key areas of focus are information technology and its application in business, communication skills and analytical skills. Course options will allow you to focus on specific areas, giving you the opportunity to explore areas of particular interest, or to prepare for defined professional requirements.
BSc (Hons) Accounting and Finance
When you graduate you will be able to:
- Explore and evaluate contemporary accounting theory.
- Analyse empirical evidence concerning financial management, risk, and the operation of global capital markets.
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of the broader business environment
On a more practical level, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate significant skills in preparing financial statements, performing analysis and delivering financial projections.
- Use appropriate IT business applications to support your financial analysis techniques and enhance reporting.
- Plan and execute research projects.
Effectively communicate results at whatever level is appropriate to the audience
Assessment is via a mix of examination, coursework and essays, plus other oral and activity-based assignments. Coursework includes problem-solving activities, consultancy projects, presentations and individual and group reports.
Our course provides an excellent basis for students who are looking to pursue a career in accounting and finance. It can also deliver an excellent foundation for any number of roles within the wider commercial environment. The technical skills delivered in this degree are much sought after by industry and commerce, and the transferable skills are a valuable asset in almost any business environment.
Links with industry or Professional Recognition
Our graduates will be awarded a significant level of exemptions from some of the professional accounting bodies. The degree has been accredited by the ACCA (the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) and successful graduates can expect substantial exemptions from the professional examinations. Further details of exemptions currently available may be obtained from the ACCA website.