'Introduction into Sport Performance Enhancement' is available as a free module for sixth form or college students to study during February half term. This is a free module with no tuition fees.
This free sports coaching module is offered by University Centre Peterborough during February half term (Monday 12th February and Tuesday 13th February with an assessment on Wednesday 14th February).
University Centre Peterborough run a BSc (Hons) Sports Coaching & Physical Education and lecturing staff will be delivering this two day module to students who are already in a coaching role or aspire to work in a sports environment.
All participants will be awarded with a certificate in Sports Performance Enhancement from University Centre Peterborough. By attending you will:
- gain a greater understanding of the elements involved with improving sporting performance
- interact with specialist sports lab equipment and meet staff in a university environment
- be able to use the experience on your personal statement for your UCAS application
- have an opportunity to put your skills into practice with expert feedback
DAY 1: Monday 12th February, 9am to 4pm
- Advantages and disadvantages of Pedagogy
- Coaching styles
- Coaching practices and scenarios
- Consolidation practical
APPLIED ANATOMY & PHYSIOLOGY
- Physiological responses to sporting performance
- Rational for training athletes using certain modalities
- Practical lab experiments (Wingate, VO2 Max)
DAY 2: Tuesday 13th February, 9am to 4pm
- Introduction into psychological skills training (imagery, pre–performance, relaxation and motivation)
- Theory and consolidation practicals
STRENGTH & CONDITIONING
- Athlete needs analysis
- Programme periodization
- Delivery of strength and conditioning session
DAY 3: Wednesday 14th February, half day
You will demonstrate your understanding of how the elements covered in the module contribute to the planning, execution and reflection of a coaching session.
How much does it cost?
There is no cost to attend and lunch is provided on the Monday and Tuesday. Participants will need to come in appropriate indoor sports clothing.
Who can attend?
The free module is available to students in sixth form or college (aged 16+ years) and currently studying A-levels or a BTEC level 3 qualification. An interest in sports coaching is desirable but no previous experience is required.
How can I book?
Advance booking is required and is the course is limited to 30 spaces. For more information or to book, please email Nathan Thompson (Course Leader for BSc (Hons) Sports Coaching & Physical Education) on firstname.lastname@example.org