Visa Information

What is a Tier 4 General Student Visa?

Tier 4 is the points based immigration route for non-EEA nationals who wish to apply for a student visa to study in the UK. Applicants will apply for a Tier 4 General Student Visa.

What is a CAS?
A CAS is an electronic document created by the College to demonstrate that we have offered a full-time course to a student. You will be given a CAS number by us as you will need this when you apply for your student visa. You will also need to know the information your college has to generate the CAS. We will give you this information.

How does the Points Based System work?

You will need 40 points before a student visa is issued to you. You should obtain 30 points if you hold a valid CAS and have provided the original certificates for all qualifications listed in the CAS.

An additional 10 points will be given if you show that you have sufficient funds to study and live in the UK. All evidence must be provided in a format that meets immigration rules – see Tier 4 Policy Guidance for full information.

What kind of visa should I apply for?
If you wish to study a vocational programme at this college you will apply under the T4 General Student category. Peterborough Regional College offer the following types of courses that meet the immigration requirements:

  • Vocational courses at pre university (Level 3) of the National Framework of Qualifications
  • HND in Engineering, Construction, Civil Engineering and Level 5 HND in Advanced Practice in Working with Children and Young Families

English Level
The College requires a minimum of IELTS 5.5 to study a Level 3 programme and a minimum ofIELTS 6.0 for HND programmes. For immigration purposes your English level must be assessed by means of a Secure English Language Test (SELT).

English Language Courses
We would normally expect you to apply for a Student Visitor Visa in order to study our English Language programmes. You can study an English Language programme for up to 11 months using a Student Visitor Visa. See Student Visitor Visa for more information.

Short Term Study Visa
This is a useful route to enter the UK if you do not have English qualifications at the required level or wish to study a short course.

  • All students usually apply outside the UK
  • The SVV is for any courses lasting up to 6 months, and the Extended SVV for courses of 6-11 months (English language only)
  • There is no language requirement, but it is advisable that your offer letter from your place of study shows the level of the course being offered
  • You are not allowed to work
  • You cannot apply to extend this visa

Applying for a General Student Visa

Applying from outside the UK
The following link will provide information to help you start the process – If your visa application is for a new course in the UK you cannot submit a visa application more than 3 months before the start of the course.

Applying from inside the UK
You should read the Policy Guidance which can be found here along with a link to the online process to extend your stay in the UK –

Finances (Tuition fees and living costs)

(Please find full up to date information by reading the Tier 4 Policy Guidance from paragraph 160).

How much money do I need when applying for a Tier 4 General Visa to study at this college?

When you apply for your visa you will need to provide evidence that you have enough money for your tuition fees plus the Maintenance Fees (living costs) which are decided by UK Visas and Immigration. The Maintenance Fees will increase in November 2015 to £9135 (calculated at £1015 for each month of study up to a maximum of 9 months). For example if you are applying to study at this college for the first time you will need the following: (subject to change)

Fees for degree and foundation degree programmes are £8500 per annum. HNC/HND fees are £6000 per annum. 

You will have already paid some or all of the tuition fee and this amount will be deducted from the total amount you need to show. Your Tier 4 Sponsor (college/university) will show this on your CAS.The account should be in your name or the name of your parent(s). If the account is in the name of your parent you will need to provide evidence of your relationship when you apply for your visa, for example a birth certificate.

Your bank statements may be in international currency and if so you will need to show the closing balance in pounds sterling (write this on your bank statement). You should use the on line currency converter –

How long can I stay in the UK on a Student Visa?

Students cannot spend more than three years as a Tier 4 (General) Student studying courses below degree level, including English language courses.

Useful websites

  • UKCISA  - The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) is the UK’s national advisory body serving the interests of international students

  • UKVI - This section explains how you can apply for permission to enter the UK as a student or a student visitor. To ensure that you are fully aware of the visa process and immigration requirements it is very important that you visit the website of the British Embassy in your home country and/or their commercial partner who will manage your visa application. Your visa application will be processed and decided by UK Visas and Immigration Staff. - This section explains how to extend your visa in the UK

Copyright © University Centre Peterborough. All rights reserved. Site by i3MEDIA