Skip to content

You may have doubts at some point during your studies where you experience difficulties or have concerns the university is not for you. Or it may be that you feel you are on the wrong course, or that you would prefer to be at a different university. First of all, don’t just drop out, talk to someone.

Get Support

Before deciding to leave UCP, please discuss your decision with a Student Advisor. A Student Advisor is a designated point of contact who is trained to provide professional help with your enquiry. It is important that you make an appointment with a Student Advisor as early as possible.

You can make an appointment with the Student Support team by contacting main reception, calling 01733 214466 or emailing

Things to consider

Whether you’re just starting thinking about it or have already stopped attending it may not be too late to get back on track.

Are you experiencing financial barriers?

Our Student Support team can help advise you on an individual basis so you receive what you are entitled to. There might be funding available to you which you are not accessing. In addition to a tuition fee loan and maintenance loan, you may also be eligible for one of the following sources of financial help:

  • Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)
  • Parents’ Learning Allowance
  • Adult Dependants’ Grant
  • Childcare Grant
  • Emergency accommodation
  • Hardship funding

If you withdraw you may be required to repay scholarships, grants, or loans. We strongly encourage you to check the financial implications of withdrawing. If you withdraw at some point during the academic year, you will be liable for tuition fees for all or part of that year. The percentage of the tuition fee that you are charged depends on when you leave the course: within the first 3 weeks 0%, after week 3 but before week 1 of semester 2 50%, after the start of semester 2 100%.

Please refer to your Terms and Conditions – UCP Offer and Enrolment document provided to you prior to your enrolment and  for more financial information on withdrawing. Further information about student finance is available from or 0300 100 0607.

Disability Support and Additional Learning Needs

If you have any long-term medical conditions, mental health difficulties, physical disability or learning difficulty which impact on your studies, we can offer support and guidance to you throughout your academic time with us. We will need you to disclose and provide evidence of your disability, learning difficulty or long-term medical condition in order for us to be able to provide you with support.

Are you worried about your academic progress?

If you are worried about your academic studies, contact your tutor. If you’re finding it difficult, tell them what you’re finding difficult and ask what support is available. If you do not understand a subject, assignment or feedback you have received, do not hesitate to ask for help. Examples of support available to you are:

  • Study Excellence Sessions: Optional skills sessions designed to improve your academic performance are delivered in addition to your timetabled sessions. Sessions include; using eBooks, persuasive writing, and critical thinking, research skills, preparing for presentations and debates to name a few. For more information and the current timetable go to the UCP website.
  • English as an Additional Language (EAL): If your first language is not English, there is support to ensure you can articulate your ideas in written and oral forms. Evidence suggests that students who attend EAL sessions perform in assessments far better than those who do not. Three drop-in sessions run each week with our specialist team.

Are your circumstances impacting on your studies?

There might be other options open to you, such as changing your mode of study, for example from full-time to part-time or intermitting for a trimester/academic year. You could also discuss transferring to a different degree. Some options are only available on some courses and can depend on the timing of modules and on individual circumstances.

What are the regulations for withdrawing?

Please see the Academic Regulations and refer to section 2.34 for withdrawal information.

For independent advice about leaving, the Student Officer is available to any student for information, support and advice relating to any aspect of their time at UCP. If you need to talk to someone, contact for an appointment.

Still wish to withdraw?

After taking all this into consideration if you feel you still need to continue with withdrawing from your course, you must book an appointment with a Student Advisor to complete the Withdrawal Form giving your details and the reason(s) why you wish to leave. You will also need to return any material on loan from UCP, including library books, parking permit and ID badge. You may be entitled to a partial refund or in rare cases, a full tuition fee refund. Refer to the Tuition Fee Refund Appeal Form.

If you are employer sponsored / sponsored by another organisation you must have agreement from your employer before you request to withdraw.. They will need to agree your withdrawal and understand any fees implications.. We are happy to provide this information but it is the student’s responsibility to seek agreement from their employer or sponsor.

Part of the Inspire Education Group © 2024 All rights reserved

Website by Itineris