Skip to content

How to Change Course or University.

1 February 2024

If you’re struggling with your current course, not settling into your chosen university or even second guessing if the university was the right step, look below for your options when considering changing course or university.

Things to consider:

While you should talk to your department office or course tutor first, it’s worth researching your options. There are several things to consider before considering changing course or university:

  • Additional work:
    There may be work that you have missed and would need to catch up on if you were to transfer courses
  • Credit Transfer:
    You may be able to transfer course credits you’ve already gained, but if the course you want to transfer to is different, you may have to start the course from the beginning.
  • Student Loan:
    Changing course could affect the level of student loan you’re entitled to. It is also essential to let the relevant finance company know as soon as possible.

Criteria For Transferring Courses:

When considering changing course or university, UCP will check that you have:

  • Good attendance and academic progress for a transfer to be approved
  • Have checked all modules available within the course and are aware of any future modules that will be offered and how these relate to your chosen career.
  • Talk to your course leader about the reasons you are thinking of transferring to a different course. Your course leader needs to support your request by completing part of the Transfer Form.
  • Looked at details of our current courses and made sure you meet the entry requirements.
  • Met with the course leader of the new course, who will need to confirm on the Transfer Form that you meet the entry requirements and that they support your request. They will also need to assess if you can transfer any achieved credit from your current course to the new course.
  • If you are requesting a transfer after the first three weeks of study there might be assessment and financial implications. E.g. you may be liable to pay semester one fees for your current course, but not be able to start a different course until the start of semester 2
  • If you are employer sponsored/ sponsored by another organisation, they will need to agree to your change in course and understand any differences in fees, study mode and duration of course. We can provide this information but the students must seek the agreement from their employer or sponsor. 

Regulations For Transferring:

Please see the Academic Regulations and refer to section 8.33-8.38 for course transfer information and section 3.14, 4.28-4.38, 8.28-8.32 for the accreditation of prior certificated learning (APCL) process.

Timescales and Deadlines:

If you’re making a transfer request in the current academic year, you can do that within the first three teaching weeks of your first semester of the academic year.

If you’re making a transfer request for the next academic year, you can do so at any time in the current academic year. You will have to decide whether to continue with your current course for this academic year or stop our course and start the new course in the next academic year.

Want to transfer to University Centre Peterborough?

Contact our Admissions team at 01733 214466 or email They will arrange an appointment with you to go through the process and put you in touch with the Course Leader for your chosen course. You might be asked to provide information about your current course of study and the modules you have taken, so do have this to hand.

Part of the Inspire Education Group © 2024 All rights reserved

Website by Itineris