Financial Support

Within this page you can find useful information that may help you manage your finances whilst you are at University. If you are struggling financially, please speak to one of our Student Support Team to discuss the support available to you. 

  • Tuition Fee and Grants
    You may be able to borrow money to help pay for university or college tuition fees and to help with living costs. You might get extra money on top of this, for example if you’re on a low income, are disabled or have children.

    Tuition Fee Loan - Your university or college sets your tuition fee, and the loan is paid directly to them. You have to pay it back. This covers the full cost of your tuition fees.
    Maintenance Loan for living costs - The loan is paid directly into your bank account at the start of term. You have to pay the loan back. You may have to give details of your household income. If you are a student living at home in 2019/20 you could get Up to £7,324 or Up to £8,700 if you are living away from home. Use the student finance calculator to estimate your Maintenance Loan. Maintenance Loans are only available for Full Time students.

    Students with children or dependent adults
    You can apply for:
    Childcare Grant - full-time students only
    Parents’ Learning Allowance - full-time students only
    Adult Dependants’ Grant - full-time students only
    Child Tax Credit
    You can apply for student finance via website

  • Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)  
    As a higher education student living in England, you can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if you have a disability, including a long-term health condition, mental health condition and/or specific learning difficulty, eg dyslexia. You must meet the definition of disability under the Equality Act 2010. The support you get depends on your individual needs and not on income.

    Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) are paid on top of your other student finance. They help you pay the extra costs you may have because of your disability. They don’t have to be repaid. How much you get depends on your individual needs - not your household income. You can get help with the costs of specialist equipment, for example a computer if you need one because of your disability, non-medical helpers, extra travel because of your disability and other disability-related costs of studying.

    You may get a new computer if you don’t already have one, or your current one doesn’t meet the required specification. More information will be provided to you if you’re assessed as needing a new computer. You’ll need to pay the first £200, which is the minimum cost that any student is likely to incur when buying a computer.

    Money is paid either into your bank account or directly to the organisation providing the service or equipment.

    You’ll need to download and fill in a form to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) or to claim back your expenses for the year. 

  • Debt 
    Whilst at University it may be your first opportunity to develop the life skills that everyone needs to learn and develop in order to manage your finances. It is likely that in some point in your life you will experience some level of debt to your name. If you are struggling to pay for rent, food or you cannot keep up with re-payment it is time to start looking on how to develop your skills and what options you have.

    Common Terms used by creditors

    Arrears: The amount of money overdue.
    Court Summons/County Court Judgement (CCJ): A set of forms that are sent by the county court enforcing payment to a creditor.
    Credit Rating: This is what measures your level of risk to a future lender through your credit history. Debt problems can affect your access to credit for up to 6 years. This could means problems getting a phone contract, finance for a car or a mortgage etc.
    Creditor: A person or business to whom money is due.
    Debtor: The individual who owes the money. 
    Default Notice: This document must be served by a creditor before court action can start.
    Deficit: If there is not enough money in your budget to manage monthly costs or pay towards debts.
    Disposable income: The money left over after paying your regular expenses.
    Financial Statement: A breakdown of your income and expenditure to see what, if anything, is left over.
    Non-priority or secondary debts: Non-payment means your credit rating takes a hit and you could be taken to court e.g. credit cards, store cards, bank or payday loans but you wouldn’t lose the roof over your head.
    Payday loans: A short term loan, usually for a lower sum of money at extremely high levels of interest.
    Priority debts: These need to be paid first because of the consequences of non-payment e.g. rent or utilities which could lead to eviction or being cut off.

    To get expert advice on your debts and to access any support you may need. You can contact the debt support charities listed on our Crisis Contacts page.
  • Additional Funding for 2019/20
    A Global Scheme payment of £500* will be made to 2019/20undergraduate entrants on successful completion of their academic year(s). 

    In addition those undergraduates from low income households will receive £500* at the end of the first semester to support their studies. It is expected that students can use these funds to participate in field trips, events to enhance their studies and resources for their courses.

    Am I eligible?
    In order to be assessed as eligible for the Scheme students must meet the following criteria:

    • Entering Year 1 in 2019/20
    • Paying the maximum tuition fee through Student Finance England
    • Studying full-time on an UCP/ARU Accredited Undergraduate Degree programme*
    • Have an assessed household income of under £25,000 from Student Finance England and be in receipt of their financial support**
    • Fully enrolled and in attendance at the time of each payment
    • Have validated bank details registered on our secure system

    * Part Time will be pro-rata depending on the number of credits studied
    **Only relates to the Low income bursary

  • Hardship 
    The Access, Welfare and Hardship Fund (AWHF) is a discretionary with primary purpose to relieve financial hardship that might cause a student to leave higher education. The AWHF can provide extra help if you’re in hardship and need extra financial support such as: course or living costs that are not already covered by other forms of financial help - these could be everyday living costs for full time students or course and childcare costs for part time students emergency payments to cover unexpected financial crises or exceptional costs - such as repairs to essential household equipment that could make you considering giving up your course because of this financial problem intervening in cases where a student may be considering leaving higher education because of financial problems. 

    For more information on the AWHF or for an application form please visit the Student Support Centre or contact us via

  • Withdrawing
    Depending on the date of your withdrawal, Student Finance may not pay your full tuition fee liability, so a portion of your fee may be re-invoiced to you to pay back directly to the University. If you are considering withdrawing from your studies, please contact our Student Support Team on

Copyright © University Centre Peterborough. All rights reserved. Site by i3MEDIA